Apple Walnut Baked Oatmeal
Originally published in Holly Richardson’s blog
Paleo & gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan
Recipe makes: 1 8×8 pan or a pie dish
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon coconut brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 chia eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350
- Optional: sauté chopped apples in pan on low heat with maple syrup and coconut brown sugar for 5 min, or until soft
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl first, then add wet. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour evenly in the pan and bake for 30-40 min. Let it cool.
- To make chia eggs, use 2 tablespoon of chia seeds + 5 tablespoons of water in bowl and refrigerate. Do this while starting the recipe and then they’ll be ready when everything is prepared.
- Using one mashed banana in all baked oatmeal recipes, adds a nice natural sweetness and no need for other maple syrup or sugar.
- Make it fun and bake what’s in season! If you don’t have coconut or all the ingredients, use what you have at home. You can also use frozen fruit!
- If you want to make it nut free, try this combo — coconut milk, hemp seeds, shredded coconut, plus your favorite fruit.
- If you want to make mocha baked oatmeal, use cacao powder, coffee (instead of almond milk), cacao nibs and dark chocolate