Darn good chocolate chip cookies
Ah. Friends, it’s time for a new and improved V.2 CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE recipe. Part rye, part spelt. Roll up your sleeves and put that apron on. Let’s get baking:
- ½ cup (113 grams) salted vegan butter, room temperature (don’t melt it! this is key. make sure it’s room temp.) We recommend Miyokos vegan butter.
- ½ cup (104 grams) cane sugar
- 6 Tbsp (75 grams) brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax mixed with 3 Tbsp water, left to sit 5 minutes)
- 1 tsp (5 grams) vanilla bean paste/extract
- ½ cup (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (188 grams) rye flour
- ½ cup (188 grams) spelt flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt (if unsalted butter, can increase to ½ tsp)
- 2-3 oz chopped dark chocolate
- flaky sea salt (optional, for topping cookies)
- Before starting the dough, make the flax egg and chop up the dark chocolate bars. Set aside.
- To make the dough, add the room temperature vegan butter, white sugar, and brown sugar to a mixing bowl. Then, use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy (about 1 minute).
- Add in the flax egg and vanilla then mix together for about 20 seconds.
- Add in the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make sure to add the flour first and then add the other ingredients on top. Mix everything together until a thick cookie dough forms.
- Add the chocolate chunks or chocolate chips to the cookie dough and gently fold in with a spatula to evenly distribute throughout the dough. Then, cover with a dishtowel and place the bowl of cookie dough in the fridge (yes, if you must, you can try a bit of it raw before hehe). Let it chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- About 10 minutes before removing the dough from the fridge preheat the oven to 350F
- With a cookie scoop to scoop out evenly sized cookies and place on a baking sheet. Make sure to space the cookies at least 2 inch apart on the tray.
- Sprinkle with flakey salt if you have some.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned yet with soft centers. Should look slightly underbaked.
- Remove the cookie tray from the oven and immediately tap the tray on the counter to produce a more “wrinkly” cookie and help deflate them.
- Let them cook for about 5 minutes. Enjoy and try not to eat them all at once! Share with friends! (or not…)
*recipe adapted from Short Girl Tall Order