Cacao Crispy Rice Squares
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut butter (you can easily make this by putting 3-4 coconut flakes in a food processor until it turns into a butter consistency, then measure out the 1/3 cup for this recipe)
- 1/3 cup nut butter (we did mostly almond butter with a bit of tahini)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 4 cups puffed brown rice crisps (we used One-Degree Brown Rice Cacao Crisps)
- 1 cup hulled hemp seeds
- a few pinches flaky sea salt for topping (optional)
- 3-4 Tbsp. freeze-dried raspberries OR goji berries (we used goji berries but you can use any dried fruit probably).
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut flakes or chips (optional for topping)
- Melted chocolate (optional for a drizzle on top then freeze)
- Grease a baking pan ( 7″x11″ should work fine) with coconut oil or another neutral oil
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan over low heat, then add coconut butter, nut butter, maple syrup, vanilla and fine salt. Stir to combine. Remove from heat. Stir in the cacao powder until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add the puffed brown rice + hemp seeds and stir quickly to combine, then pour the mixture into baking pan and press firmly (you can use a spatula with a little oil to press down). Then sprinkle the freeze-dried raspberries (or goji berries), coconut flakes and flaky salt. Place in the freezer for at least an hour to firm up, then slice into bars or squares and enjoy! (You can also keep in freezer or fridge in a sealed container).
*Bonus: wrap these in some beeswax paper and stuff them in your jersey pockets for long rides!
Recipe adapted from Lentine Alexis