‘If you think making bagels is hard, time-consuming, and boring…think again. These bagels will make give off such a great
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 3 ½ cups (500g) flour (unbleached) + more for kneading
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- Any seasonings: rosemary, sea salt, everything bagel toppings, etc.
- Mix sugar and 1/2 cup of warm water together then pour over the yeast. Mix and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Put flour and salt in a large bowl then add the yeast and sugar mixture with the 3/4 cup of the remaining warm water.
- Mix until dough formsMix well until a smooth dough forms. If too wet, add flour, if too dry, add water.
- Flour a cutting board and knead the dough for 10 minutes
- In a non-metal bowl, add water to it to wet the sides then place the dough in it. Turn the dough enough to coat it with the moisture from the wet bowl.
- Cover with a towel and let it sit in a warm place for one hour. After that, punch down the dough and let it sit again for 10 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and split into 8ish pieces (depending on if you want smaller or larger bagels). Roll each piece into a ball and place on the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip your fingers in flour and press a hole into the center of the ball to form a ring. Stretch out the dough balls into rings. Cover with a damp towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425º and bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Once the water boils, reduce the heat, and put as many bagels that fit into the pot (we did 3). When they to float to the top, boil for 2 minutes, then flip, and boil another 2 min.
- Once all the bagels have boiled, move them to your baking sheet. Brush the dough with almond milk/olive oil, and sprinkle with your seasoning.
- Bake the bagels 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
Inspired by: Sweet Simple Vegan